Punakha Tshechu, as all Tshechu festivals, honors Padmasambhawa, also known as Guru Rimpoche, the precious yogi and saint who is credited with having introduced Tantric Buddhism throughout the Himalayas. The festival’s masked dances are performed by monks clad in colorful brocade attire and permeated by chants and reading of Buddhist scripts. The culmination of festival constitutes the unfolding of a huge cloth thangka, a sacred scroll, depicting Padmasmabhawa and imagery from Buddhist pantheon.
What is included in the tour
- Private guided tour
- Visas for Bhutan
- Airport transfers
- Daily 3 meals (B/L/D) at designated restaurants or hotels
- Accommodation at 3 star hotel
- A qualified & licensed English-speaking guide
- An experienced driver
- A tour vehicle
- Entry fees & road permits
- Government fee, royalty, taxes & surcharges
- Mineral bottled water
- Set of traditional costume (to be return at the end of your stay)
- Full service & assistance before, during and after your Bhutan trip
- Free Local Sim
- Excited Trip Gift exclusively from Arisedev Tours and Treks
What is NOT included in the tour
- Flight into Bhutan via Drukair (can be arranged with us)
- Flight on other airline to catch Drukair Flight
- Meals at 4-5 stars restaurants
- Hotel stay outside of Bhutan
- Expenditure of personal nature
- Travel Insurance (can be arranged with us)
- Tips for the guide and driver
- Alcoholic drink
- Guaranteed Visa approval. We have yet to disappoint a single of our travellers in term of Visa issuance.
- Your choice of hotels will be confirmed for your inspection before your arrival. We only book you on hotels which we love and would love again.
- We will be happy to change your guide, driver or vehicle on the first two days of arrival in Thimphu if you are not satisfied with our selection. Drop us a note and our hospitality team be on the spot to assist you.
- We’re here to help. Our world-class member services team is available by phone or email — there's no automated system or call center; you'll communicate with a real person.
Day 01| Arrival in Paro – Thimphu (1.2 Hrs)
Upon arrival our guide will receive you and transfer to Thimphu. One can wander on your own to stroll Thimphu streets or relax in your hotel.
Overnight: Thimphu | Altitude: 2300m
Day 02 Thimphu sightseeing
Morning visit the weekend market (Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday), Handmade paper Mill, School of Arts and crafts where students learn 13 different arts used predominantly in Bhutan, Lunch in town. Drive pass by Memorial Chorten (temple) built in memory of the late 3rd King. Visit Changangkha Lhakhang, the oldest temple in the valley, Enclosure where national animal, Takin are kept and Zilukha Nunnery.
Day 03 Thimphu – Punakha (2.5 Hrs)
Drive through Dochula pass at 3010m. When the weather permits one can enjoy a spectacular view of the highest mountains of Bhutan at a site that stretches almost 180 degrees. After a short tea break continue to sub tropical Punakha. Afternoon we will hike to Chimi Lhakhang, temple of fertility which is associated with religious arts of phallus.
Overnight: Punakha | Altitude: 1350m
Day 04 Punakha Festival
We will spend whole day in the festival which will accompany with various mask dances and folk dancers along with jokers actions in the crowd.
Overnight at Punakha
Day 05 Punakha Festival
Whole day in the interesting Punakha festival or in the afternoon we can proceed for other sightseeing like visiting Khamsum Yulay Temple or Wangdue excursion visit Rinchingang.
Overnight in Punakha
Day 06 Punakha – Phobjikha (3 Hrs)
Check out of the hotel and visit Chimi Lhakhang on foot, the temple of fertility associated with religious art of phallus. En route visit Wangdi town and continue to Phobjikha over the second highest road pass on your trip at 3140m.Visit Gangtey Gompa, the largest and the only monastery of the Nyingmapa sect in western Bhutan. Evening relax in your hotel or take a stroll.
Overnight: Phobjikha | Altitude: 2900m
Day 07 Phobjikha halt
Morning go for walk and meet the School children close to your hotel, who all walk for hours to reach their nearest school. Phobjikha is a paradise for nature lovers and hikers. There are lots of great places for hikes around the valley. Visit Gangtey monastery, the richly renovated monastery offering rich architecture and paintings. Walk down to the valley through the village for your hotel.
Day 08 Phobjikha – Paro (6 Hrs)
Start early retracing the drive to Paro. In Paro visit the National Museum, the first of its kind which has a collection from natural history to religious paintings. Visit 17 century Paro Dzong (Fortress) on foot and continue walking through the oldest wooden bridge still in use.
Evening stroll old Paro town and peep into some local handicrafts stores. One can also venture to try local restaurant for dinner.
Overnight: Paro | Altitude: 2200m
Day 09 Paro Sightseeing
Visit Kichu Lhakhang, one from the 2 oldest temple in the country, historic Drukgyal Dzong (Fortress) and hike to Tiger’s Nest, the most revered temple in the country that literally hangs on a granite cliff overlooking the Paro Valley. Evening at leisure
Day 10 Departure
Morning transfer to the airport (15 mins) for your departure flight. Our tour staff will bid you farewell at the airport.